Saturday, August 4, 2012

Logan Approved Food

Well as many of you know, Logey has a very severe allergy to cow milk protein and still has trouble with soy on most days (although getting better with soy!! :))  I am always on the hunt for new recipes to makes yummy things that Logey can eat.  I found this wonderful recipe on Pinterest for Peanut Butter Banana Quinoa Muffins, that I just couldn't pass up.  I was hoping I could do some substituting to make it work for Logey.  It turned out great... ALL the kids loved the muffins and I even liked them too!  These will become something I will bake often and store in the freezer for quick snacks and car trips.

Here is the Recipe:

1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 cup milk  (We used coconut milk)
1 tablespoon Peanut Butter (I used Organic)
1 cup cooked Quinoa
1/4 cup Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1 Egg
1/4 cup Plain Yogurt  (I used So Delicious Coconut Cultured Strawberry Yogurt)
1 chopped Banana
1 teaspoon Honey
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 1/2 cups Flour
Cinnamon (Optional)
Sugar (Optional)

NOTE: The best way to cook quinoa is to bring 2 cup of water to boil and then add one cup of quinoa.  Let everything simmer away until there is no water left and the quinoa is nice and fluffy. Be prepared that one cup of raw quinoa will make close to 3 cups cooked quinoa.  So have something else ready to have with the left overs!

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375F.  In a large bowl, add  vegetable oil, vanilla, yogurt, sugar, honey, milk and peanut butter.  Stir together to create a smooth batter.  Add egg and quinoa and a dash of salt.  Sprinkle the baking powder and baking soda and stir well.  Chop a banana into chunks and add to batter.  Slowly add flour and mix well.  Grease muffin tins.  I added a sprinkle of sugar in the bottom of the tins and then scooped the batter in.  Then I sprinkled Cinnamon and sugar on to for more flavour!   Bake for 17-20 minutes.

NOTE: I suggest not using muffin paper cups because the muffins were really hard to get out of them.  the paper was stuck and kept breaking off in pieces, so I would suggest skipping them and just putting the batter straight in the tins.

So, I wish I got a picture of how great they turned out, but the kids absolutely devoured them before I even got a chance!  I will add a picture when I make the next batch.  But they were really great and super yummy and even Logey could enjoy them!!!

I am always looking for Dairy-free suggestions, so please feel free to comment with your own dairy free recipes!




No comments:

Post a Comment